CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Looking On the 'Overlooked'

Good morrow to all. I understand that I've been neglecting this blog but this morning, I decided to write something here, just to give some room to the brain after going through eight classes worth of essay papers!



Anyway, since I've become my daughter's official driver, I have lesser time to looking through my recipe books and what to cook for dinner. For the past months, the dishes prepared had been the usual ones. They were merely repetitions on the family's selection of 'had been approved' daily dishes. 


However, sometime this week, as I went down to the kitchen, bearing in mind that I'd told Mr KHz that I would prepare his favourite steamed fish, I noticed that my MIL had prepared her fish curry. It was definitely the time to panic for I was sure that Mr KHz would choose the steamed fish over the fish curry. Coking two fish dishes at the same time was certainly not a very wise option, I suppose.


As usual, my recipe book to the rescue and I remembered that I had bought some prawns in the freezer. My problem was, all the ingredients had to be pounded coarsely and when time was not on your side, using the mortar and pestle felt like a burden. I took out the blender, put the chopped ingredients in and suddenly I noticed the word 'pulse' on the blender control panel. I know, I know. I shouldn't have felt so calm but I just couldn't resist the temptation on knowing what would happen if I press the pulse button. If you were in the kitchen with me at that time, you would rolled on the floor, laughing to see a person who was so overjoyed over what her blender had produced. I was filled with glee and gradually, felt very silly for I had overlooked the 'pulse' sign which would had saved a lot of my precious time. Mind you, I have been using the same blender for the past three years! From now on, I have to be more alert on everything and everyone. Call me lame but I hardly have any resolutions so I guess, this could be my first one.



The result of my 'overlooked' sign is in the photo below. Enjoy!







UDANG  BERLADA


Ingredients:


  • 1 kg of white prawns (the larger the better, peeled but keep the tails intact)
  • 12 red chillies
  • 5 shallots
  • 4 pips of garlic
  • 1 piece of 'asam keping'
  • 2 pieces of kaffir lime leaves
  • 1 tsp of turmeric powder
  • salt and sugar to taste




Method:


  1. Coat the prawns with turmeric powder and salt.
  2. Heat some oil in a wok and fry the prawns until slightly brown and keep aside.
  3. Put in the red chillies, shallots and garlic into the blender. Put in little water and pulse. Your mixture should be coarse and not fine.
  4. Using the same oil used to fry the prawns. Stir fry the pulsed ingredients till the oil separates from the gravy.
  5. Put in the prawns, kaffir lime leaves, 'asam keping' and salt and sugar to taste. Stir until the gravy coats the prawns.
  6. Enjoy!

1 comments:

nizaineese said...

cuLama tak update blog, cik yah... Mesti sibuk kan..hehe

Related Posts with Thumbnails