CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, August 17, 2009

Ahlan Ya Ramadhan Al-Mubarak

Good morrow peeps! How's your Monday? I bet, most of us find it rather hard to accept that it's another Monday. Why must the weekend be so short? The usual claim of not having enough rest, I suppose.

Anyway, personally, I'm looking forward to this Saturday because the Muslims will be celebrating the blessed month of Ramadhan. The best month in the Islamic calendar. I sincerely wish that the Almighty grants me the chance and strength to sail smoothly throughout this much awaited month. I have actually planned to ask my Atush to have a try at fasting- just like how Mak trained the six of us. She believes that a child should learn how to fast when he or she is six! I started fasting for a half day and within a week, I was able to complete fasting for the whole day. Nurturing is always best done at a tender age.

Ramadhan, to me, is forever a month full of memories. I can stil picture out Mak preparing wonderful dishes for iftar (the breaking of fast). I'm not talking about elaborate preparation. The dishes were still ordinary, daily dishes but they tasted good. Perhaps, this is why Ramadahan is called 'the month of barakah'. You don't only taste the food but you are being thankful for what the Almighty has given at the same time.

Talking about food, I want to share this recipe from the talented Mat Gebu but I have reduced the amount of chillies. It's easy to prepare and I feel that it would make a good side dish.

KERABU TELUR NYONYA

Ingredients:
4 eggs
2 red onions
2 ripe tomatoes (cut into quarters, deseed and chopped into small pieces)
2 ginger torch (bunga kantan)
a handful of 'laksa' leaves shoots (pucuk daun kesom)
juice from 5 calamansi lime
1 and 1/2 tsp of sugar
1/2 tsp of salt
2 red chillies
5 bird's eye chillies
1 pip of garlic
1 inch shrimp paste (toasted)

Method:
  1. Fry each egg as an omellette, roll and slice thinly.
  2. In a pestle and mortar, pound the red chillies, bird's eye chillies, sugar, salt, garlic and shrimp paste till fine. Put into a mixing bowl and pour the lime juice and mix till fine.
  3. Shred all the other ingredients thinly and put into the mixing bowl with the pounded ingedients.
  4. Put in the sliced omellette and chopped tomatoes and toss well. You may add, salt, sugar and lime juice according to your taste. Serve with hot rice and fried salted fish on the side.

2 comments:

Aly Beth said...

That looks incredible!

cikyah75 said...

yup! and taste incredible too1 haha... (from my taste-bud point of view)

Related Posts with Thumbnails