CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, December 7, 2009

From Kinokuniya to The Kitchen

Mr KHz finds Kinokuniya in Suria KLCC to be the ultimate bookstore. His trips to this place are usually done alone. From my deduction, I can surely say that all he wants is to have personal moments with those books he loves so much. It is as similar as we, ladies, spending precious moments looking at and caressing those delicious new shoes!

His purchases do include books for our kids but rarely for me. However, some time this year, he brought home two cookbooks for me. Not being a cook himself, I was impressed because he managed to get two wonderful ones. Frankly, my collection of cookbooks and recipes has been a great help on those days when time is not on my side. This is what usually happens. I would try a new recipe and if Mr KHz loves it, the dish stays. If he doesn't, the trial would be the first and the last attempt. So, in this entry, I would like to share one recipe which has become one of my everyday dishes. Heartfelt thanks to original recipe owner, as well as the writer for this wonderful recipe, if they are reading this blog.

First, I want to show you the cover of the book which I find to be very nostalgic. I really like the tiffin carrier effect. Hailed from the kampung myself, I have vivid memories on glorious dishes that Mak had prepared with much love and care, using ingredients easily found around the house. In fact, she is my saviour whenever I'm having my 'cook's block' or when Mr KHz requests for extra special dish. Thank you so much, Mak.

The book cover


First the cover, now the photo of the dish

Prawn Sambal with Oyster Sauce


Next, the recipe if you wish to try it.

Prawn Sambal with Oyster Sauce (original recipe by Datin Norsiah Bakhari)

1 kg king prawns
1 large Bombay onions (cut into half and sliced thinly)
3 heaps tbsp of ground chilli paste ( I used 2 tbsp only)
2 tbsp oyster sauce
6 shallots
4 cloves of garlic
1/2 cup of cooking oil
salt to taste
1/2 tsp of sugar ( the original recipe does not include sugar)

Method:
  • Trim the whiskers of the prawns but keep the shells intact. I peel mine but I leave the tails intact because Mr KHz finds peeling the shells a hassle.
  • In a wok, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil and fry the onion until golden brown, then drain and keep aside.
  • Pound the shallots and garlic. Next, heat the remaining oil and fry the pounded ingredients until fragrant.
  • Add the ground chilli paste and stir until it is cooked before pouring over the oyster sauce. Add in the sugar and salt.
  • Put in the prawns and stir well until the sauce coats all the prawns.
  • Serve hot!

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails