CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, June 6, 2009

Looking Back : If Only Nenek Was Here...

This entry is very long due. It should have been featured somewhere in March but the usual claim would be, "I don't even have time for myself!" Is life really that bad? What happen to my time? When these questions pop up, I would definitely take the easy way out. How? Looking through recipe books and surfing recipe sites, of course. Worse come to worse, I'll be in the kitchen, making bread and later, savour the therapeutic moments watching it rises and getting brown in the oven! Call me weird, freaky or whatsoever but this is how I calm myself.

I have never imagined that cooking can be the antibiotics during those chaotic times in my life. However, being brought up in a family who believes that food is the best tool to strengthen family ties, I can't agree more. Showing love through food has been long practised. Have you ever experienced the warmth when the dish you prepared is well-appreciated? That kind of fuzzy feeling when there's nothing left on the plate? I bet you have! That's why moms would go the extra length to prepare their children's favourite dishes when the long-awaited ones come home for the long school break. It's simply about showing love!

My late Nenek was a very good example to show how love is expressed through food. Due to her expertise, I have grown up to be a very picky person when it comes to choosing 'kuih genggang'(layered kuih), 'kuih kaswi', 'kuih koci' and 'pulut tetal'. So far, only my Mak is able to produce the kuih of such standard. Why? She was my late Nenek right-handed person in the kitchen! Nenek was also noted for her skills in preparing the 'lauk pengantin' for the 'orang sebelah' (the bride's or bridegroom's relatives -depending on which side you are organising the feast for). As my lame attempt to bring back those fond memories, here are the photos of the 'lauk pengantin' that we (me, Mak, Mak Teh and a few others) made for my cousin's wedding.

'UDANG PANJAT POKOK'
(Simply fried prawns skewered onto a pineapple using toothpicks. The fringy bits are made from carved and thinly sliced carrots, while the green bits are spring onions)


'DAGING MASAK KICAP'
(Notice the vegetables used as decorations? It took me quite some time to carve those chillies and that pineapple piece!)

Don't you think that it is about time for us to celebrate what is still left for us before it's taken away? Celebrate life with love and the easiest is through food. Believe me!

7 comments:

Jlascanteen said...

atu nyaman banar tu

cikyah75 said...

au bah! tapi, rasa cam mau makan basung masak ampap!

jin zhi said...

woa.!! your prawn can really 'panjat' .! haha.!

why don't you create a cbox so that its easier to leave a comment.! :D

Jlascanteen said...

basung beampap? lauk kesukaan beliau

cikyah75 said...

jilak, bila kan kita mau memasak untuk miss shah mu ani? ;-)

jin zhi, how do u create a chat box? can u give me a clue?

jin zhi said...

a clue..! ok.. haha..
go-- http://cbox.ws/?r=2-1942317

creat a account. choose/create a cbox. get the code, and paste it in your blog .!
done. :D

Anonymous said...

great job.. keep it

Related Posts with Thumbnails